As we move towards a COVIDSafe Australia, it is important for people at greater risk of serious illness if they get COVID-19 to take extra steps to protect themselves.
You or your loved one should maintain good hygiene and take care when interacting with other people. The best defences includes:
- covering your coughs and sneezes with your elbow or a tissue
- disposing of used tissues immediately into a rubbish bin and washing your hands
- washing your hands often with soap and water, including before and after eating and after going to the toilet, and when you have been out to shops or other places
- using alcohol-based hand sanitisers (60% alcohol), where available
- cleaning and disinfecting surfaces you have touched
- staying 1.5 metres distance between other people
- continuing to stay at home and avoid contact with others
- continuing to avoid non-essential travel
- considering having the chemist deliver your medicines
- considering having your groceries and essential items delivered to your home
- downloading the COVIDSafe app to your smartphone for the times you do need to go out. Prestige staff can assist you or your loved one with this or call the Older Persons COVID-19 Support Line for help
Remember, it’s important to still feel connected, happy and healthy in your own home, as well as keeping up normal daily routines, (eating well, drinking enough water, exercising and sleeping well).
Also, stay connected with your family, friends and your local community. Using technology like phone, email or social media. This can more difficult for our aged clients, which is why we have care workers who regularly visit to improve their quality of life.
It is also important to get a daily dose of fresh air and vitamin D, whether you’re out and about, down the street, private yard or balcony. Keep your mental health strong!